Sometimes I'm not particularly proud of being Norwegian:
A Norwegian politician has proposed the Prime Minister and George W Bush for a joint award in recognition of their achievement in ensuring the overthrow of Saddam Hussein. Jan Simonsen, from the Right-wing Party of Progress, argued that the leaders deserved credit for laying the foundation of democracy in Iraq. (The Telegraph via Jeff Jarvis)One Thousand Reasons reply: George Orwell Strikes Again
Bush supporters will fail to see the bitter irony of this nomination, since Bush himself has claimed that war was necessary to achieve peace. Newspeak is nothing new to those at the top of the Bush administration, but the rest of us, including the brave soldiers and their families who must actually fight in Bush's wars, understand that killing is not an act of peace, that subjugation is not a form of freedom, and that imposing a form of government on another country falls well short of democracy.It should be noted that Jan Simonsen is a known, controversial politician in Norway, and that this is probably more of a PR stunt than a realistic proposition. By even making his proposal public, he's already violating an insistent request fom the Nobel committee:
Any one of the following persons is entitled to submit proposals:
Observing the rules given in the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, the Committee does not publish the names of candidates. [...]
- members of national assemblies and governments;
- members of international courts of law;
- university chancellors; university professors of social science, history, philosophy, law and theology;
- leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign affairs;
- former Nobel Peace Prize laureates;
- board members of organisations that have received the Nobel Peace Prize;
- present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (committee members must present their nomination at the latest at the first committee meeting after February 1);
- former advisers at the Norwegian Nobel Institute.
The nominators are strongly requested not to publish their proposals.
To those who are dismayed and upset over the news that George Bush and Tony Blair have been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize this year: don't worry too much. It'..."
Anders Jacobsen |